Key Difference: An emulsion is normally a suspension of globules of one liquid with another like water, where the two liquids cannot mixed with each other. On the other hand, paint is a liquidly water substance used for coloring walls, doors, etc.
An emulsion is a suspension of globules of one liquid, e.g. latex or vinyl, within another, e.g. water, where the two liquids normally don’t mix.
Emulsions are water based with vinyl or acrylic resins added to make them more hard-wearing than traditional emulsions. Emulsion increases the shine of the place where it is applied and it tends to be more hard wearing. Although normally thought of as for internal walls and ceilings, there are water based types of emulsions specially produced for woodwork.
Emulsions are easy to apply but do not give the same hard-wearing feature as oil-based paints. Emulsion basically is the most popular paint for walls and ceilings due to the fact that it has a smell, dries comparatively quickly and is easy to apply.
According to Dictionary.com, ‘Paint’ is:
- A substance composed of solid coloring matter suspended in a liquid medium and applied as a protective or decorative coating to various surfaces, or to canvas or other materials in producing a work of art.
- The dried surface pigment: Don't scuff the paint.
- The solid coloring matter alone; pigment.
- Facial cosmetics, especially lipstick, rouge, etc., designed to heighten natural color.
- To coat, cover, or decorate (something) with paint: to paint a fence.
- To produce (a picture, design, etc.) in paint: to paint a portrait.
- To represent in paint, as in oils, tempera, or watercolor: to paint an actress as the Muse of tragedy.
- To depict as if by painting; describe vividly in words: The ads painted the resort as a winter wonderland.
- To color by or as if by painting: Sunset painted the clouds pink.
Paint consists of pigments and an oil or water-based amount in it. Paint technologically is a complicated science. Applying paint directly to a surface can result in it just dripping down the wall. So, the first coat is normally the ‘Primer’, that is a must to provide a key to the base material.
Today, there are many types of paint available in the market. Some giving different surface finishes, others are designed for particular applications. It is long term storage that one, however needs to select the correct type of paint that will give a more satisfactory end result.
An emulsion is a mixture of two liquids that would ordinarily not mix together, like oil, on the contrary, paint is any liquid composition that is applied to the surface so that the thin layer will be converted to solid film.
Image Courtesy: image.made-in-china.com, philippinemanufacturing.files.wordpress.com