Key Difference: Devices and Instruments can be classified in many different ways, but they are somewhat similar. A Device is something made for a purpose, usually a tool or an instrument. An Instrument is a tool, especially used for delicate scientific work or medical work.
According to Dictionary.com, ‘Device’ is:
- A thing made for a particular purpose; an invention or contrivance, especially a mechanical or electrical one.
- A plan or scheme for affecting a purpose.
- A crafty scheme; trick.
- A particular word pattern, figure of speech, combination of word sounds, etc., used in a literary work to evoke a desired effect or arouse a desired reaction in the reader: rhetorical devices.
- Something elaborately or fancifully designed.
The word ‘device’ was originated in the 13th century, in the mid of 1375-1425 from the Old French word devis, that means purpose. Device is something made for an aim or a purpose, usually a tool or an instrument. It may refer to technology or music. There are thousands of devices. It is a most versatile word, used in the organization or company. It is used for doing exact work. It is work where result will be possible only with human effort.
Examples using the word device in a sentence:
- In this case, the detectors were hacking into a device in a case study centre.
- A device for opening cans.
- This is a device avoiding income tax.
According to Dictionary.com, ‘Instrument’ is:
- A mechanical tool or implement, especially one used for delicate or precision work: surgical instruments.
- A contrivance or apparatus for producing musical sounds: a stringed instrument.
- A means by which something is affected or done; agency: an instrument of government.
- A device for measuring the present value of a quantity under observation.
- A mechanical or electronic measuring device, especially one used in navigation: landing a plane by instruments.
Basically, instruments are the devices used to measure, record or identify the terms individually. Instrument is something from where a specific result can be obtained.
Instruments can also be referred to in various terms, such as Instrument film or instrument application. There are many different types of scientific and technology, or music instruments, intended more for specific work than mechanical work. It includes devices like electronic or scientific, medical, vehicle, laboratory, weather and measurement.
Examples using instrument in a sentence:
- It also means creating a debt instrument that investors can believe in.
- Means, instrument, or agent of an action or process: adornment.
- But, as often in finance, an instrument designed for insurance became a toll for speculators.
Image Courtesy: theemf.org, greenbiz.com