Key Difference: Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.0 are two versions by the Joomla software. Joomla 2.5 was released on January 24, 2012, while Joomla 3.0 was released on September 27, 2012. Although, Joomla 2.5 is a LTS version and 3.0 is short-term support (STS) version, it offered many updates on the 2.5.
Joomla! is a content management framework that allows users to build websites from the ground up without having to learn basic programming language. This CMS is for the people that are not well-versed with anything related to do with designing websites, but wish to do it themselves. It makes it easier for them to establish and maintain websites without having to waste time and money on special designers.
Joomla is free and open-source content management system (CMS) that allows users to build websites and online applications. It is considered to be quite easy to use and understand for many users. Joomla is more commonly used for simple websites, but it can also handle websites that are complex with a little extra training. The company claims that the website can be used for almost any website of any shape and size. Joomla is written in PHP and uses object-oriented programming (OOP) techniques and software design patterns. Joomla offers more out of the box themes and features such as page caching, RSS feeds, printable versions of pages, news flashes, blogs, polls, search, and support for language internationalization. It is currently the second-most used CMS after WordPress. Joomla was created in 2005 following the creation of a website called OpenSourceMatters.org that distributed information to users, developers, web designers and the community in general.Sponsored Links
Similar to all software, Joomla has different versions that were added on later with additional features to make the system easier and more user-friendly. Joomla aims at launching a long-term support (LTS) version every 18 months, with small updates available in between. Joomla has stated that each LTS version would end in .5, which means the next Joomla LTS version would be 3.5, followed by 4.5, 5.5, etc. Joomla 2.5 and Joomla 3.0 are two versions by the Joomla software. Joomla 2.5 was released on January 24, 2012, while Joomla 3.0 was released on September 27, 2012. Although, Joomla 2.5 is a LTS version and 3.0 is short-term support (STS) version, it offered many updates on the 2.5.
The Joomla Community Magazine lists the additional features as:
- Joomla 3.0 is more responsive and has greater mobile compatibility. It allows users to edit and update the front-end as well as the back-end on the go
- Bootstrap allows Joomla to have a much better UX for the end-user
- Integration of new LESS dynamic stylesheet language. The less templates are used for importing both Bootstrap and JUI (less files and media/jui/less files).
- Incorporates JUI (Joomla User Interface) library that provides a common set of tools for developers
- New UX with upgraded layout and dashboard
- Installation for Joomla has been reduced to 3 steps from the original 7
- New Article Manager Interface
- Guest user group is automatically available as default
- New front-end template, Protostar, powered by Bootstrap is very responsive
- New admin template
- Updated Beez3 template
- Uses Joomla Platform version 12.x. The new platform has removed numerous deprecated classes and methods from version 11.4.
- Joomla 3.0 is packaged with JQuery in the core; however, Mootools is still available as an option in the back-end.
- Joomla 3.0 supports a Drag & Drop sorting feature in the back-end.
- Requires higher PHP/MySQL requirements. Joomla requires PHP 5.3.1 and MySQL 5.1 or newer to run 3.0.
- Advanced module settings allow modification of Module tag, Bootstrap size, Header tag, Header class and Module style.
- New feed management called JFeed
- Includes new PostgreSQL driver which allows “database independence"
- Joomla 3.0 allows administrative users to create and save blank articles
- Updated unit testing in CMS
Image Courtesy: magazine.joomla.org