Google is the biggest known supporter of AJAX and has invested millions of dollars to advance it. Major Google products, such as Orkut, Gmail, Google Suggest, and Google Maps are AJAX applications. Amazon has also launched it’s own search engine, A9, on AJAX.
Ajax is not a single technology. It is a group of technologies. Jesse James Garrett, the one who coined the term, AJAX, lists the various technologies incorporated in AJAX:
- HTML (or XHTML) and CSS for presentation
- The Document Object Model (DOM) for dynamic display of and interaction with data
- XML for the interchange of data, and XSLT for its manipulation
- The XMLHttpRequest object for asynchronous communication
- AJAX allows the coder to send a request for data asynchronously in order to load new data without changing the web page.
Image Courtesy: esublimeinfosystems.com, ajwebdesigner.in