Difference between Risk and Challenge
Key difference: Risk and challenge are two completely different things. The main difference between a risk and a challenge is that a risk is something that has the capability to hurt, harm or injure, whereas a challenge is something that motivates, interests, or engages oneself.
Risk and challenge are two completely different things. The main difference between a risk and a challenge is that a risk is something that has the capability to hurt, harm or injure, whereas a challenge is something that motivates, interests, or engages oneself.
Dictionary.com describes ‘risk’ as:
- Exposure to the chance of injury or loss; a hazard or dangerous chance: It's not worth the risk.
- The hazard or chance of loss.
- The degree of probability of such loss.
- The amount that the insurance company may lose.
- A person or thing with reference to the hazard involved in insuring him, her, or it.
- The type of loss, as life, fire, marine disaster, or earthquake, against which an insurance policy is drawn.
- To expose to the chance of injury or loss; hazard: to risk one's life.
- To venture upon; take or run the chance of: to risk a fall in climbing; to risk a war.
Whereas, ‘challenge’ is described as:
- A call or summons to engage in any contest, as of skill, strength, etc.
- Something that by its nature or character serves as a call to battle, contest, special effort, etc.: Space exploration offers a challenge to humankind.
- A call to fight, as a battle, a duel, etc.
- A demand to explain, justify, etc.: a challenge to the treasurer to itemize expenditures.
- Difficulty in a job or undertaking that is stimulating to one engaged in it.
Essentially, a challenge is considered as a positive thing, whereas a risk is considered as a negative. A challenge is something that motivates us; that forces use to do better than we thought that was possible. However, a risk is a behavior, action or activity that has the opportunity to cause us harm. It is something that will lead to a loss, an undesirable outcome or damage.
A challenge may also lead to a loss. For example: losing a game or a project or a client. However, a challenge causes us to face our fears, face them and to do better next time even if we lost this time. A risk may just cause us to lose something. It need not challenge us or make us better in any way.
Image Courtesy: advancehe.com, scrappingwonders.com